At Intuit, we value community contributions and volunteering with a non-profit organization within the disability community is a required step to becoming a Level 2 Accessibility Champion. I created this list for our champions to explore. There are some fantastic opportunities for everyone to make a difference.
Virtual Volunteer Opportunities
- Zooniverse: Assist researchers by reviewing large image sets, i.e. counting and identifying animals photographed in the wild
- Career Village: answer questions posed to this career advice job board for underrepresented communities.
- Amnesty International: help AI by reviewing documents, images, and other resources for information on human rights violations
- Letter writing opportunities
- Operation Gratitude (U.S.) – Show thanks to Troops, Veterans, New Recruits, or Wounded Heroes and their Caregivers for their service to our country. Care Package recipients say these letters, notes, and drawings are the most cherished items in their box.
- Love for the Elderly (Global, but mailed to U.S. address) – Cards are collected and mailed to elders in senior communities across the globe. Small gestures in everyday life, like showing compassion and performing random acts of kindness, help us all feel loved.
- Post Pals (UK) – sending of cards, letters, emails and little gifts to seriously ill children and their siblings in the UK.
- In Great Company (AU) – help to send beautiful notes of friendship to our seniors to show them we care.
- Transcribing research documents: Smithsonian Transcription Center and the Royal BC Museum have large collections of documents that need to be transcribed.
- Accessibility Audit and Consulting for non-profit organization: Catch a Fire is a web site that connects volunteers with organizations around the world. You can search for Accessibility requests and more.
- Record your voice to create personalized voices for assistive technology: VoiceBank is creating a large collection of voices to provide personalized assisted communication devices.
- Proofread scanned books for BookShare. This is the largest supplier of audio and digital books for people with print disabilities.
Create virtual cards for children being treated for Cancer: St Jude has an online card maker.
Leave a Reply