I don’t know about you, but I have a terrible time typing “accessibitily”. That right there was a common typo that keeps popping up. My fingers get tangled typing the last 6 letters. So here’s a little tip for my fellow Mac users. I’m sure there is a similar version for PC users.
Set up text shortcuts
The goal of this simple exercise is to create a simple text shortcut that the Mac will expand to the full word. I use “accy” as this is easy to remember and shouldn’t get confused with other words.
- Open your system preferences and Choose Keyboard
- Open the Text tab
- Click the add button, which will move your cursor into the list of text shortcuts
- Type your shortcut, such as “accy“, hit tab, type in the full string, such as “accessibility”.
- Close preferences and open a text program, such as Microsoft Word
- Type “accy“, did it automatically convert to “accessibility”? If so, you are all set.
This is also a good time to click on the “Shortcuts” tab and change the Full Keyboard Access option to include All Controls. This gives you much better keyboard functionality on Firefox and other programs.