This short presentation was an introduction to a panel discussion on how financial institutions can use new technology to provide accessible solutions. It was part of this event: G3ict Hosts International Briefing: Inclusive Financial Services for Seniors and Persons with Disabilities, Paris, France
A Light Touch
Reducing the eﬀort for a customer will bring better usability and accessibility. The evolution from paper based ﬁnancial tracking to electronic has already given users greater control over their ﬁnancial records photo: Touch by Yu Xiaoou: Flickr.com/photos/elizabethyu/14160906846/
Don’t Make Me Think
How do we balance the need for security while also minimizing the cognitive load for our customers. Near Field Communication, bio-metrics, and multi-factor authentication have already improved the experience, what is next? https://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/centermez/7104203537
Connected Our customer’s experience can improve signiﬁcantly when their tools work together. This goes beyond the web applications and includes the user’s environment
The Future is Now
Amazon’s Echo Voice Recognition Assistant allows users to complete tasks and get information via hands-free voice recognition. Capital One Integration allows users to check their bank account information. Intuit is also working on Alexa interactions for Mint and QuickBooks
Ear for Audio
- Ear based devices are common, especially after years of bluetooth headphones.
- Ears provide same benefits of eye-based location.
- Biometric information, such as body temp, pulse are available
- hands-free, display-free interactions
- Sony xperia
- Here Active Listening
- Soundhawk hearing at much lower cost than hearing aids
- Conversant UI – Add natural language functionality to your application
Reader Eye glass mounted camera and bone conducting headphone. Uses your ﬁnger as the guiding gesture. An intuitive portable device with a smart camera mounted on the frames of your eyeglasses, OrCam harnesses the power of Artificial Vision to assist the visually impaired. OrCam recognizes text and products, and speaks to you through a bone-conduction earpiece.
Taxes via SMS TaDa is a new product from TurboTax that allows people to communicate with a tax expert via text messages to complete their taxes for a very low price. This reduces the tax process to the lowest level of complexity. Penny is a chat bot for banks
Honda and Visa testing in-car purchases. For instance, you can pay for a parking space via the the car. They’ve also tested in-car purchases with Pizza Hut to have dinner delivered to the car.
Analyze user interaction to avoid robots
- Authenteq – networked identity veriﬁcation
- Oﬄa – mobile payment fraud detection.
- Slock.it Peer to peer rent or share anything that could be locked
- TurboTax looks at how the user interacts with the product. It can detect a robot by the random activity and will trigger veriﬁcation. This prevents the human users from having to deal with captcha and other security checks.
By My Eyes is an app that lets blind people request guidance from sighted volunteers and paid assistants to identify objects and scenes. Aira.io is a google glass app that uses a team of sighted assistance to give on-demand answers. This could be anything from directions, computer advice, and reading signs.
Photos are Creative Commons via Flickr