The hidden information
The following div is completely hidden with the display:none and visibility:hidden as described in Clip your hidden content for better accessibility by Thierry Koblentz. It includes the infographic's transcript. This hidden content will be announced by the screen reader via the aria-labelledby attribute.
Mapquest: Make the most of Summer Travel
The days are longer, but you're still not able to find time to plan those much-needed getaways. Let MapQuest inspire you to start planning; take the kids to one of hte country's national parks, enjoy a favorite pasttime or visit a top warm-weather destination wtih friends. Don't let the summber get away without you!
National parks, one of hte top searches on MapQuest, make for memorable weekend day trips or lengthier overnight stays. Visit one of the nation's 58 parks as your final destination or a via-point on your road-trip itenerary.
58 U.S. national Parks to discover on parks.mapquest.com
- Top searched national parkes on MapQuest
- Grand Canyon
- Glacier National
National Park trivia
- Oldest national park: Yellowstone, Established in 1872, Wyoming
- 50 degrees Fahrenheit: Average growing temperature that trees require; temperature creates the tree line on mountains.
- 2,000 years: Age of the tallest tree in America (369ft); a coast redwood growing in California's Redwood National Park
- Number of recreational visits to parks last year (2011): 278,939,216
- Largest National Park: Wrangell-St. elias National Park and Reserve in Alaska
Sometimes all it takes to enjoy the season is an all-American baseball game, 18 holes on a new course, or a trip to an amusement park. Get some inspiration from the top seasonal searches on MapQuest to spark your exploration.
MapQuest Internal Analytics May-Sept 2011)
- Hope those nearly 400,000 folks searching for beaches slathered on some sunscreen.
- One million folks Ooo'd and Ahh'd last summer at the nation's fireworks events
- Before they hit the theme parks, 1 million people took a ride on MapQuest to get there.
- The 800,000 lake-lookers might have gone fishin', but possibly just enjoyed being near the water.
- Some 1.5 million people were searching for a great place to gather around a fire.
- Two scoops for the 9 million people who searched for ice cream on MapQuest
- MapQuest made finding the course easier tahn finding the green for more than 1 million players.
- More than 5 million folks were looking for a cold one on a hot summer day.
Top Neighborhood searches
Don't have time for a three-day getaway? Use MapQuest Vibe to expedite your neighborhood exploration! Top neighborhoods around the country currently are:
- Ocean Park - Santa Monica, California
- The Loop - Chicago, Illinois
- Pearl District - Portland, Oregon
- Central Gables - Miami, Florida
- Midtown - New York City, New York
- Washington Mall, D.C.
- Center City - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Westport - Kansas City, MO
- NOMA - San Francisco, California
- Diamond Head - Honolulu, Hawaii
Baseball stadiums were frequently searched for on MapQuest. Top Five:
- Yankee Stadium - Bronx, New York
- Wrigley Field - Chicago, Illinois
- Fenway Park - Boston, Massachussetts
- Cormerica Park -Detroit, Michigan
- Target Field - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Oure data tells us that these are some fo the most popular destinations searched on MapQuest during the summer. Which places will you visit this year?
MapQuest Internal Analytics, May-September 2011
- Hoover Dam - borders Arizona and Nevada
- Mall of America - Bloomington, Minnesota
- Navy Pier - Chicago, Illinois
- Times Square - New York City, New York
- Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco, California
- Disneyland - Anaheim, California
- Legoland - Carlsbad, California
- Graceland - Memphis, Tennessee
- Disney World - Orlando, Florida
- The White House - Washington, D.C.
Is there a road trip in your future? MapQuest can get you there more quickly, cost effectively, and safely withour tools for the road -- route planner, live traffic, gas prices, and FREE voice-guided navigation via our mobile app.
- 1.5 million: number of folks who checked out the best gas prices on MapQuest.com MapQuest internal analytics, May-September 2011
- $2.47: cheapest gas in America, as of June 29, 2012 MapQuest Gas Prices
- 4,050,717: miles of roads in the US Bureau of Transportation Statistics, July 2011
- 9:00 a.m. Monday: Best time to fill up your gas tank! Twin Cities Gas Prices petroleum analyst Patrick DeHaan
- 34,567: Number of miles routed each day on MapQuest MapQuest internal analytics, May-September 2011
- 150: Number of designated scenic byways in america By Ways
MapQuest, ©2012 Summer Travel, Infographic | MapQuest.com